Our client dfcu Bank would like to recruit a Chief Risk Officer (CRO).
Reporting to the Bank’s Chief Executive Officer, the CRO will be a member of the Bank’s Executive Committee (Exco) and will be responsible for leading the design, monitoring and implementation of the Bank’s risk processes and frameworks, including identifying, analyzing, and mitigating both the internal and external risks affecting the Bank’s business, as well as incident management.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership and guidance to the Credit Risk Management, Operations Risk Management, Integrated Risk Management and the Financial Crime departments and functions within the Bank;
- Develop and maintain an effective risk management system on all the Bank’s business risk categories such as credit risk, market risk and operational risk;
- Responsible for the development and design of policies, processes and reporting procedures necessary to identify, measure, monitor, manage and report, on a continuous basis the risks the Bank could be exposed to, at both an individual as well as at an aggregated level;
- Facilitate the setting of the Bank’s risk appetite by the Board, monitoring risk exposures against the Board-approved risk appetite limits and reporting thereon to the Board Audit and Risk Committee;
- Advise the Board on strategies to mitigate the risks to which the Bank is exposed, assess and provide recommendations on all strategic changes, new products and or reinsurance treaties that may be proposed by the business;
- Oversee the implementation of the Bank’s business operational risk framework and ensure the mitigation of material risk through regular engagement with the business;
- Engage with the Regulator on a regular basis to ensure the smooth implementation of the Bank’s risk management objectives as well as managing the supervisory relationship, and support the business in adapting with the evolving external regulatory environment and industry practices;
- Create a risk and compliance awareness culture in the Bank, leading by example, facilitate the independent and professional functions and departments for Compliance, Credit Approval and Special Assets Management;
- Monitor all additional investment and liquidity risks of the business and advise the ExCo, Committees, the Board, Regulators and Other Stakeholders on strategies to manage these risks; and
- Leverage business operations knowledge and expertise to mitigate risk and ensure business continuity and resilience.
Qualifications and experience
- A Masters Degree in Business Administration or Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Actuarial Science or any other relevant field;
- An internationally recognisable post-graduate professional qualification and training in Accounting, Finance, Risk Management or any other related field would be an added advantage;
- A minimum of 15 years’ working experience in the banking and financial services industry of which at least 5 years must have been as a senior manager in an enterprise risk management role;
- Ability to think strategically, working with the different operating units, departments and functions of the Bank to disaggregate business plans and transactions into component risks the business is taking and recommend plans and strategies to mitigate the risks;
- Excellent verbal, communication, negotiation and presentation skills with the ability to interact effectively with all stakeholders especially the regulators;
- An in-depth knowledge of the financial services industry, sound business and financial judgement combined with problem-solving abilities;
- Strong business acumen, ability to interact with as well as influence at a senior level and ability to work with diverse teams of risk professionals; and
- Strong leadership skills and business acumen with the ability to bring the vision of risk mitigation to life, high level of integrity and strong entrepreneurial skills.
Interested persons who meet the above criteria should submit their CV and a cover letter highlighting how their experience is relevant to the Duties and Responsibilities described above to email@example.com by not later than Wednesday 10th February 2021. The CV must include 3 referees including their e-mail address and telephone number. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.